T1 Personal Tax Returns

CRA's My Account

My Account allows you to track your refund, view or change your return, check your benefit and credit payments, view your RRSP limit, set up direct deposit, receive online mail, and so much more. Click the button to go to the site.


Don't forget anything! Scroll down for a checklist to help get you prepared or click the button to get a printable list.


E-file your return and receive your refund in less than 2 weeks!


Please note – It is very important that your tax preparer receive the following information:

  • a detailed copy of your previous year’s tax return (new clients)
  • your Notice of Assessment for 2017
  • receipts for any tax instalments made during the year

Personal information

For:  self, spouse and dependents:

  • Name, address, birth dates, SIN #, email address, phone number
  • address changes, marital status (with date of change)

Personal Claims

  • Child care – name, address and social insurance number of daycare provider required
  • Alimony/ child support paid – name, address and social insurance number of person receiving payments required, and a copy of the separation/ support agreement if not previously submitted
  • Interest on student loan payments
  • Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax
  • Grant Notice
  • RRSP Contributions
  • UCCB (Universal Child Care Benefit – RC62)
  • Charitable Donations (Registered Charities receipts must be provided)
  • Medical Expenses (certification required for prescriptions, travel over 40 kms, meals, etc…)
  • Foreign income
  • Status regarding Canadian Indian

T Slips

  • T4, T4A – wages and pension income
  • T3, T5, T5008 – Interest and Investment
  • Income
  • T5007/RL-5 Social Assistance, worker’s comp
  • T5013/T5013A – Statement of partnership income
  • T600 – Canada Savings Bonds, etc…
  • T4OAS – Old age security
  • T4E – Employment insurance
  • T4RIF, T4A, T4RSP – Pension and annuity income
  • Union or professional dues not on T4 slips

Investments and Property

  • Details of foreign property owned – shares of foreign companies, rental properties, etc…
  • Investments on which interest has been earned, but not received
  • Capital dispositions (sale/redemption of mutual funds, sale of shares, real estate)
  • Details of rental income earned and expenses – Property tax OR rent paid on your residence (receipts are imperative for claim)


  • Details of business income and expenses Union/ Association Dues
  • Health and dental plan costs (self-employed)
  • Charitable Donations (receipts must be provided)

Business Use of Home Office

Compile these expenses for a yearly total to be prorated for the use of space in your house to earn business revenue:

  • Heat
  • Hydro
  • Mortgage interest
  • Property tax
  • House insurance
  • Telephone and internet
  • Repairs and maintenance

Business Use of Vehicle

Compile these expenses for a yearly total to be prorated for the use of your vehicle to earn business revenue:

  • Car insurance
  • Parking
  • Gas and oil
  • Car/ lease payments with amount of interest if included
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • KM’S driven for the year total and KM’s driven for the year for business